Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

thank You.

Here are the things I'm thankful for this year...in no particular order...

--The Psalms!  I'm thankful that David was a basket-case.  I'm thankful He took the time to write such beautiful poetry, so full of angst and desperation and praise alike.  I'm thankful for this book of the Bible, perhaps more than any other, because it fills me with hope.

--Anything that helps me take life a little less seriously: late night Scrabble sessions with Chris, watching E! at the gym while I grind it out on the elliptical or treadmill (somehow, watching The Kardashians and Kendra makes me feel a little more grounded in reality in a bizarre sort of way, and Talk Soup makes me laugh so hard it hurts), listening to Rihanna or Linkin Park while I grind it out on the pavement, blasting the Glee soundtrack in my car and having sing along sessions with my girlz!

--I'm thankful for a quiet, simple, no-agenda Thanksgiving this year.


--The color of the leaves...they are most beautiful when they are dying.  I especially love the way they look on overcast days...the contrast of flaming orange against a gray sky...but they aren't too shabby against a bright blue sky either.

--The new Coldplay album, Mylo Xyloto.  Coldplay is like Bon Iver...puts me in a better mood every single time.  Bon Iver radio on Pandora is wicked!


--I'm thankful to be back in school, reading and writing poetry again.  I'm thankful that I even have the opportunity to do that.  I'm thankful for my Montgomery GI Bill.

--I'm thankful for Tess's preschool and Lucy's MDO program.

--I'm thankful for fall and winter, when the creative Lib comes back out to play.

--I'm thankful for all of my friends...old and new...life would not be worth living without you guys.

--I'm thankful for the way God is enlarging my heart in the waiting for Ren, even though it's hard, and even though being almost 12 months "pregnant" is really uncomfortable.


--I'm thankful that the first homemade apple pie I attempted this Thanksgiving didn't flop...it was a huge success.  I'm thankful for the simplicity of apple pie.

--I'm thankful for simplicity in general.


--I'm thankful for coffee, British tea, and Pinot Noir, and most of all, dear friends to drink it with.

--I'm thankful that Chris has a steady job.

--I'm thankful for my parents and my whole family.

--I'm thankful for my Honda Pilot...particularly the built in DVD player, which keeps the girls quiet and resultantly keeps me sane.

--I'm thankful for Instagram and Pandora and modern technology in general.

--I'm (sometimes) thankful that I'm not in control of my life.


--I'm thankful for my husband...dude, he is the greatest blessing of all.  I'm also thankful for the "thanksgiving omelet" he just made...stuffed with stuffing, turkey, cheese and cranberries.

--I'm thankful for God's provision.

--I'm thankful for changing seasons...in all aspects of life.

--I'm thankful for Linda Pastan, Sharon Olds, Robert Hass, and Billy Collins...my favorite contemporary American poets who bring me so much pleasure.


--I'm thankful for Post-It notes, the blogosphere, the way it gets dark by 5pm, and the new Chick-Fil-A that opened up in Fairfield.


--I'm thankful for my incredible girlies...they are a precious gift.  I try to be thankful for the high-pitched squeals of my almost-two-year-old's tantrums...they keep me relying upon God for patience and strength.

--I'm thankful for hand sanitizer.

--I'm thankful for retail therapy with girl friends.

--I'm thankful for hot bubble baths and clean water.

--I'm thankful for SLEEP when I find it.

--I'm thankful for modern medicine.

--I'm thankful for dark chocolate.

--I'm OH-SO-THANKFUL for Crossroads, our church here in CA!  I'm thankful for our pastors, for Sean and Carly, for CR, my sponsor, and for the authentic women who are part of our church.

--I'm thankful even for the hard things in life...stress...loss...grief...sleepless nights...keeps me clinging to God.

"It is good to give thanks to the Lord,
And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High:
To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning,
And Your faithfulness every night."
Psalm 92:1-2

what are you thankful for this year?

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, thanks Lib! I'm OH-SO-THANKFUL for you!!!! Today was wonderful. I will miss times like we shared today. You do have a lot to be thankful for and so do I! Right now in my life while it is somewhat of a peaceful time, I am most thankful for lessons learned. I hate going through the valleys but I love how it feels when I've made it through a dark time and see God's hand in it all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the picture of the thanks of your heart and what this says about you! I am thankful for you...for the memories I hold and for your friendship! Love you!

    ReplyDelete