Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

under my skin

The good thing about crying at the gym is people can’t tell if you’re wiping tears or sweat from your face, if the salty, streaming fluid is coming from the eyes or under the skin.
Sometimes all the imperfection gets to me, the dead ants in the corner of my desk, the breakfast oatmeal caked on the kitchen table, the invincible black mold at the edges of the shower floor, the way we have a hard time looking one another in the eye and saying what we really feel.
Sometimes I wonder if PMS is merely what happens when a perfect storm of monthly hormones destroys our usual filters, allowing these buried desires, anxieties, and irritations to flow freely to the surface.
I read in a book that God has given all women holy longings for relationship--but these longings don’t always feel holy to me.
I think I’ve spent a large part of my life trying to be someone other than myself.
“Mediocrity is the best camouflage known to man.” --Bryce Courtenay
One cup of coffee no longer cuts it in the morning.
I bought a bar of dark chocolate and a bag of cheese puffs at the grocery store today.
In a pride of lions, it’s the female, not the male, that runs the show.  Turns out that heavy mane is just fluff and pretense.
God guided the Israelites with cloud cover by day, fire by night.  There has been no cloud cover, no rain here in over two months, and it’s the bright moon in a dark cloudless sky that lights our nights.
Why does everything have to mean something?
The AmTrak that runs through the fields behind our house severed a utility truck in half last week, sliced it right down the middle as if metal was butter.  I don’t know what happened to the driver.  It turns out that even red flashing lights malfunction.  Sometimes the warnings never come.
The daisies I planted in window boxes this spring didn’t survive the summer.  I plucked them out of the soil and threw their burnt bodies in the trash, replaced them with heartier begonias. 
I identify with daisies more than begonias.
“What I don’t understand is the beauty.”  --Dean Young
The colors grey and yellow, what an unlikely pair, an unexpected yet perfect marriage, coolness and warmth, the sun peaking through rain clouds.
Listening to Bon Iver puts me in a better mood every single time.
Of the five states I’ve lived in during the past decade, California is where I feel most like myself.
I’m afraid of living in the same place for the rest of my life.
How much longer can the human race go on like this before the ground falls out beneath us?
“It is impossible to write meaningless sequences. In a sense the next thing always belongs.  In the world of imagination, all things belong.” --Richard Hugo

3 comments:

  1. I love this too.

    And California has been the state I felt the most like myself too.

    And i feel the same about living in one place for the rest of my life.

    And I love the last quote, it seems like Life, not just imagination, or maybe it is the way i imagine life.

    Event after event, sometimes relates, sometimes doesn't but it happens for a reason anyways (even if we never understand the reason)

    Kells

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait...you go to the gym??? Your 50 steps ahead of me, girl! I love your burned bodies in the trash visual. I always feel that way whenever I try gardening. so disappointing to see them die. I always feel like i wasted my time. but then i plant basil and i'm back to being sane...(ok, not really plant it. i just buy it at Vons for 5 bucks and stick it in my window) But STILL!
    loved this, Lib. Amazing, as always. <3 Kristie

    ReplyDelete