Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Provision

We meet with our home-study social worker, Kathy, for the first time tomorrow. She told us we'll be discussing topics such as parenting, discipline, as well as how Chris and I deal with marital conflict.  It's always fun to discuss your marital issues with a stranger--particularly a stranger who is trying to determine if you're fit to parent another child.  Please pray that all goes well!

I've been in contact with Kathy over the past week.  Although this home-study process is a bit nerve-racking, I have been encouraged that we were assigned to her, as it seems she will be a fantastic resource to us on this journey.  About five years ago, Kathy adopted a special needs girl from China.  Her daughter was two years old at the time Kathy got her.  She had an atrial-septal heart defect and developmental delays.  I am looking forward to get to know Kathy better--to hear her story--to seek her wisdom as someone who has walked this tenuous road before us.  

God has been showing up in very tangible ways over the past few weeks.  Last weekend Chris was working on our taxes.  As we drove to church last Sunday morning, Chris looked over at me in the car and asked, "So, guess how much we are getting back in taxes?"  I told him to just tell me because I'm horrible at guessing things like that.  He told me.  The number was quite big... twice as big as any return we've ever gotten.  The number was close to what we need to finance this adoption.  My jaw dropped open and I became silent.  

Just a few weeks prior, Chris and I sat down to look at our budget.  Our eyes got wide and our mouths became dry as we looked at the numbers, at how much we'd spent over the holidays, at how much we'd need to cut back in order to finance this adoption, how much we'd need to alter our lifestyle, and how big the upcoming payments were to our adoption and home-study agencies.  We had some cushion to rely on, but we wanted to try to avoid having to tap into it.  

Since then, money has started floating in from unexpected places, in amounts that seem to match exactly what we are needing at the time.  I've heard it said that "Coincidence is God showing up in disguise."  God is showing up, He is providing for us, and it is miraculous to watch Him work.  His glory is on display.  

At church last Sunday, our pastor, Bruce, said several times...

"God takes care of His church."

We are feeling God's care.  We are feeling Him pave the way before us.  My heart feels tender with gratitude as I see Him show up in ways we didn't expect. 

My friend, Karen, posted this video on her blog a few days ago.  For me, it is such an awesome portrait of God as our protector, guardian, provider, and Father.  I hope this image meets you in whatever stress, anxiety, fear, or doubt you are feeling this week.  





5 comments:

  1. Oh I will be thinking of you and praying for you as you meet Kathy! You and Chris are such AMAZING people I know she will love you! BELIEVE me she's probably seen the gamut of parents, don't you think?! You guys are her ideal candidates! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! God is so faithful.

    That video had me on edge....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big smiles....it is amazing and awesome to experience God tangibly working in your life. You are both forever changed for having entered into this process.

    So proud of you for stepping out in FAITH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment on our blog. And congrats on starting the adoption journey! It is an amazing experience that has already taught me a great deal - and we don't even have our boy home yet. I have learned to enjoy my boys more, been challenged to learn what it really means to trust my husband and has caused me to recognize my dependence on God all the more. True blessings! I just prayed for you all and your journey. God bless!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lib...this was so powerful, I was brought to tears there at the end. It brings me joy to hear your heart and watch as God is leading you both and you are following HIM!

    ReplyDelete