Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Simple Pleasures

As life rolls along, I'm starting to realize that having a routine is just as important for my own mental/emotional wellbeing as it is for that of my children.  A sense of predictability and structure gives shape to my days; it makes me feel a little less out-of-control in an out-of-control life.  

There are parts of my day that I come to rely on.  I know I can count on them even when life feels fragmented and hectic, and these sweet, simple, loyal moments in my day bring me great joy.  These are things like a cup of hot coffee first thing in the morning, my mid-morning cup of sweet, milky British tea, and the promise of a shower around noon when Lucy goes down for her nap.  

Another one of the simple pleasures I enjoy most about our daily routine is the morning drive to take Tess to preschool on the Air Force base by our house.  Though it's in fairly close proximity to big cities like SF and Sacramento, as well as the beloved Napa Valley, Travis Air Force Base is otherwise out in the middle of nowhere.  It is bordered by pastures of cows, horses, and windmills.  For me, the scenery is breath-taking, particularly during this time of year, when the rolling hills have turned to a vibrant green from the nourishing winter rains.  

This past week, the dense fog finally broke and we have experienced a few days of bright, clear, sunny weather.  As I drove Tess to school yesterday morning, I was struck by the beauty of our little cow town and thus inspired to try to capture it on my dinky iPhone camera.  

 

This stretch of the road is my favorite.  The sun peaks up behind the hills to the east and illuminates the frosty pastures that the cows graze on.  I love this wooden fence.


I also love watching the cows, especially the baby calves.  They graze next to their mommas and I often get a quick glance at them drinking from their mother's swollen utters.  They remind me of the sweetness of new life.  They make me vow that I will never eat veal again and I feel a touch of guilt that I enjoy cheeseburgers so much.


Below is the back stretch of the road.  You can see the western hills in the distance, closer to wine country.  The hills are beautiful at this time of year.  Their green folds are embellished by the extreme angles of the winter sun.


And, of course, it is impossible to write a post about the simple pleasures of daily life without somehow including music in the mix.  My friend Katy turned me on to this Irish group called Rend Collective Experiment.  They started out as a group of confused twenty-somethings who were trying to navigate life, God, and community together.  And, they happen to make awesome music.  I've been listening to their album "Organic Family Hymnal" on repeat in my car for months now.  





This song, Movements, is often blasting in my car as we drive by the green hills and grazing cows.  Tess and I sing,

"I'm running fast and free to You
'cause You are movement and fight in me
I'm running fast and free to You
'cause you are my Home, 
where I wanna be, come move in me
I won't walk away..."

I often experience God most tangibly in these small and simple moments during my day.  I am thankful for them.  I am thankful I have them to look forward to.

What are some the sweet moments you enjoy during your daily routine?

2 comments:

  1. Simple pleasures are the stuff of life! ...sonic ice, throw blankets, memory foam mattress, mae's 3 chipped teeth, joser's saying "I like you, mamacita," my eldest asking, "how do you feel about God?" over a cup of chobani, the list goes on and on and on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog post!!! Helps remind me to enjoy the sweet moments of my daily routine and to open my eyes because there are sweet moments. I just blogged about ROUTINE. I also feel it is important. I love my morning Hot COCO or OJ, Naps, excercise, reading my scriptures, daily routine kisses from Ashton (I know that won't last long)

    ReplyDelete