Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

conversations with Tess.


Many conversations with my four-year-old, Tess, involve excessive usage of the word "WHY?" on her end, and challenging attempts to explain complex matters at a preschool level on my end...so when she's the one who ends up explaining things to me, I like to sit back, smile, and enjoy a quick glimpse into the way that her blossoming mind operates.  Here are some cute and telling interactions we've had over the past few weeks. I don't want to forget these gems...


***

On the drive to school the other morning:

Tess: Mommy, is God real?

Me: Yes, Tess.  He's the realest thing there is.

***


Just this morning, we were in my bed talking about mommies and babies, and this conversation followed:


Me [pointing at my belly]: Tess, can you believe you came out of my tummy?


Tess [pointing at my belly button]: Mommy, why did I come out of here?


Me: Because that's where babies are made.


Tess [pointing to my forearm]: Oh, do babies come from your arm?


Me: No, just bellies.


Tess: Oh, will brother baby come from your tummy?


Me [floundering for a good explanation]: Um, no, your brother isn't going to come from my tummy.  

Tess: Why?


Me [floundering some more]: Well, your brother is going to come from a different country, a place called China.  He's going to come from the same place where Ni Hao Kai-Lan lives.


Tess: Oh.  Are there princesses there?


Me: Yes, probably.


Tess: Oh.  I want to go there.


***

Tess and were sitting at the kitchen table and she was coloring.  We were listening to the Jack Johnson Curious George soundtrack...

Tess: Mommy, is this the sharing song?

Me: Yes, it's the sharing song.  Very good Tess.

Tess: I hate sharing.

Me: Whoa...you hate sharing?  Why?  Sharing is fun, Tess.

Tess: No, I just wanna do what I do.


...don't we all Tess...don't we all. 

***

This conversation took place in the car on the drive to her preschool one morning last week:

Tess: Look Mommy--it's raining!

Me: Yeah, look it is starting to rain.

Tess: Mommy, why is it raining?

Me: Well...because God is telling it to rain.  He controls the weather.  The rain helps the plants and trees grow.  They get really thirsty and God makes it rain so they can get a drink.

Tess: Oh, and flowers too?

Me: Yep, flowers, and all the living things.  

Tess: Oh, did God create all the things?

Me: Yes, He did!


Tess: He made you and daddy and Lucy?


Me: Yep, and He made you too!

Tess [soliloquy] : Yeah, God made me, and I was in God's head and then He created me and then He greeted me Tessa.  And then He made my house and then He made my bed and then I said I wanted a bunk bed but He said He didn't have that kind. He just had a regular big girl bed.

Me: Oh, God didn't have a bunk bed for you?  Maybe He will someday.

Tess: Yes, but He didn't have that kind.

***

I love you, sweet Tess.  Look forward to many more conversations with you in the future... 


3 comments:

  1. Oh how sweet! I would "like" this, if I could! Reminds me of my floundering attempts to explain our world as well! Naomi too has been wishing upon a star for bunk beds. What is the fascination with them? :) So far she and Petra have IKEA beds http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19827958. Perhaps one day... I just freak out about the thought of fan blades whirling overhead or leaping out of the top bunk. :) I have to say it again... I think our girls may have been cut fro the same cloth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tess! What a great idea to write these conversations down. I was just telling a friend how much Drew liked to talk on rides in the car. It's never ending and sometimes I get so annoyed and just want peace and quiet but this made me want more conversations with mine. I need to relax and enjoy it while I have them wanting to talk to me. They are gifts from God and it goes by way too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious, precious! I loved this! (o:

    ReplyDelete