Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

my song.

There are certain songs that hit me deep in the chest.  They slice right through the layers of cynicism, apathy, boredom, or fear that can surround my heart at any given moment.  They penetrate  to the core and draw out what is real and true with scary precision.

Do you have a song like that right now?

I do.  It came on my iPod last night as I was driving along this stretch of the road...


Highway 29.  Northbound to Napa.  

The sun was setting and I was driving to Yountville to meet my dear friend Kelly for dinner to celebrate her 30th birthday.  There I was, driving along, in awe of the majestic sunset, the hypnotic rows of grapevines that border the road, and the precious rarity of driving without kids in the backseat, and suddenly this song came on.  It was perfect.  It was one of those moments when you feel like God really sees you.

The first time I heard this song was one Sunday morning in church, about a year ago.  Chris had just left for Afghanistan.  I was a real mess.  It was all I could do to get myself and the girls dressed, fed, and ready for church on Sunday mornings.  The promise of at least one hour of free childcare was usually enough motivation to get me going, but by the time I arrived in the sanctuary, I felt too tired and wrung out to offer anything to God. 

There are certain times in your life when worship songs mean more to you than they ever have before, when the lyrics touch something deep inside that aches and grieves, when you cling to the truth of the words and the beauty of the music like your very life depends on it.  This was one of those times. 

I'd never heard or sung this song before, but the power and beauty of the lyrics and music hit me hard. I remember opening my mouth to sing and tasting the salt from my tears instead.  I had a hard time getting any sound out. Singing this song made feel God's power and majesty in a whole new way. It made me want to fall on my knees and raise my hands and really worship Him in the midst of all my fatigue and fear, and I'm not even "that kind of person."  I'm reserved. I sing quietly at church and keep my hands to myself. But not when this song comes on. This song unravels all of my pretensions and reservations. 

This song that I'm talking about is called REVELATION SONG. Have you heard it? I can't wait to belt this song out in heaven. Maybe I'll have a good voice then. My favorite version right now is by Jesus Culture...






Jesus Your name is power
breath and living water
such a marvelous mystery...
Be my everything
Be my everything.

What is "your" song right now?

8 comments:

  1. http://plasticorplastic.blogspot.com/2011/04/lord-i-need-you.html

    Thank you for inviting me to share! Beautiful post Lib, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really like Blessings by Laura Story

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in:
    http://footprints-k.blogspot.com/2011/04/beautiful-things.html

    Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Echo the Blessings by Laura Story. Really hits me hard every single time and I've listened to it at least 30 times now.
    I even downloaded the piano music and I've been playing it. Have you heard it? I should find the link for it.
    Also--Healing is in Your Hands by Christy Nockels

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is it--http://youtu.be/1CSVqHcdhXQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey ladies--I love this. Thanks for sharing these songs.

    The lyrics to "Blessings" reminds me of the book "A Severe Mercy"--have y'all read it? And Lory--the piano in that song is awesome...I would love to hear you play it in person...glad to hear you are still playing ;)

    Also, I was thinking more today about other songs that have been really meaningful to me lately...

    "Your Love" by Brandon Heath is awesome--(thanks T)...and...
    "You Are For Me" by Kari Jobe is incredible too--(thanks Car!)

    Both songs are on You Tube if you want to check them out. I've been listening to them all the time!

    Love you ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this. I feel like a could pick a dozen songs - The Revelation Song being one of them. Anytime we do it at church I just get lost in worship. I love that that the same song evoked some of the same feelings in us.

    You are more by Tenth Avenue North is one of my songs right now. I've been remade....feels fitting for where I am at in life and with God. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  8. I decided after several days that my song right now Matt Maher's Christ is Risen. Really hoping we hear it this Sunday, so powerful. I had other comments for this post but for some reason I can't think straight with Hudson screaming in the background.

    ReplyDelete