Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Home

"There's no place like home."
--Dorothy

We got home around midnight last night.  As I walked through the front door, I immediately felt my body start to decompress. We are so thankful to be here. Going away and then coming back gives me a fresh perspective on our life here, a renewed sense of what I'm thankful for, a deepened sense of gratitude over all that God has blessed us with in our home.  Sometimes it takes a change of scenery to give one a new pair of eyes.  

While we were away, the trees bloomed.  Their branches are now full of little, fresh spring leaves.  The cherry blossoms are in full bloom and our backyard is bordered with their cheerful, fluffy, white blossoms.  It's cool and overcast here.  The hills are so green they are fluorescent.  Spring is here...it sprung while we were away.


This morning I've been aware of all the simple things that I'm grateful for about our home...  


Making coffee and tea in my kitchen.  


Being able to put Lucy in her highchair to eat! (Not having to feed her on a plane, in a car, or on my lap!)  


Being able to put the girls down in their own separate bedrooms so they don't wake each other up (though that will end when Ren gets here;)!!!). 


Sleeping in my own bed.


My desk. 


Smelling Texanna's ears and stroking her graying chin. 


The predictability and stability of routine. 


Not having to wake the girls up in the middle of the night to catch a flight or leave our home. (It's 11:15am and Lucy is still sleeping...she is worn out!) 


Standing at the kitchen sink and looking out at the northwestern hills in the distance.


Reliable internet access.


Eating foods other than PB&J and hotdogs!


Looking through the mail and seeing that my renewed passport and several key documents for our dossier came while we were away (plus, our home study is finished!)


Going grocery shopping and not spending $8 on a box of cereal! (People say California is expensive, but it ain't got nothing on Hawaii!)




What aspects of home do you appreciate and enjoy?

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting how leaving home for a while can make you feel more grateful for the comforts and familiarities it offers. I love sitting on my favorite corner of my couch with coffee and my devotional and journal the mornings I am off and Tommy isn't awake yet. Those few quiet moments are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were only away for 4 days but I felt the same sense of relief coming home after our spring break trip. My bed...I love my bed. Having a the kids in their own bed for naps..instead of a car seat. Being in a child-proof place. Though our house still has some serious dangers it is nothing compared to boiling hot water coming out of the faucet at my in-laws and a post missing at the top banister overlooking the tile (allowing any of my four children to easily fall through)! I love tea in the morning and a long hot shower in a shower stall that I know is clean. And the shade in the back yard. Yep, I guess I love home too!

    ReplyDelete